The Sacrament of Confirmation for children of catechetical age is conferred upon those who have been baptized, received the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist, have been instructed in their faith and have demonstrated a capacity and willingness to participate in the life of the Church as determined by the DCFF and the Pastor. Immediate preparation for the reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation consists of a minimum of two years of spiritual formation. The Pastor and/or his delegate will determine readiness for reception of the sacrament with the DCFF.
SPONSORS – ideally a sponsor is someone who already has been involved in the spiritual formation of the candidate. When possible the Baptismal sponsor should be chosen to show the relationship between Baptism and Confirmation.
Canon Law #874 – for a person to be sponsor –
- must be about 16 years of age & fully initiated in the Catholic Church
- must not be prohibited by law from exercising the role of sponsor
- may be the same sponsor the candidate had at Baptism
- may be a new sponsor
- may be either male or female for any candidate
- may NOT be the child’s parent.
Eligibility of the sponsor will be determined by the Pastor. Eligibility for a person outside of Immaculate Conception Parish may be obtained by letter from the sponsor’s Pastor.